Chiado is one of the most trendiest civil parish of Lisbon. It has lots of stories and histories of locals and foreigners.
Now days construction is impossible on this area, since most of the building are from 1700 ( XVIII century). During centuries the neighborhood had several rebuilding process and the last major one as during the 90´s, because of the destruction by a devastating fire in 1988.
Writers such as Eça de Queiroz and Fernando Pessoa used to be seen in some of the coffee-shops. Chiado had several theaters and today the most well known is Trindade Theatre. Construction was a challenge and locals won it. Check the tiles you will find on the walls of this part of the city.
Chiado most famous streets:
- Rua do Carmo | connects Rossio to Chiado, walking only. Going up, you will see on your left side Santa Just Lift ( usually has lines to take a trip on the Lift ).
- Rua Garret | Street of beautiful stores, from fashion, coffee, ice cream/gelato stores, excellent restaurants and the oldest bookstore in the World ( Livraria Bertrand ). On the top goes to Praça Luís de Camões.
- Largo do Carmo | Famous from the revolution of 1974, today is the spot to chill a little bit, with several hotels, coffee shops, esplanades and the connection to Santa Just Lift. You will see also the entrance of Carmo Convent, walk through a entrance on the right side and discover an amazing unique view and perspective of Lisbon.
- Praça Luís de Camões | Encounter point for lots of people. Looking to the statue, on the left side you will find Bairro Alto Hotel and on the right side Manteigaria. This stores became popular for the amazing pastéis de nata ( custards ) you can taste. Its possible to see them baking it through the glass.
- Rua da Misericórdia | You will find traffic, cars, bus, tuk-tuks and people going up and down. The street starts in R. do Alecrim ( which connects Cais do Sodré civil parish to Chiado ). Ends almost near Principe Real. Check the Loreto Church. Stop at Miradouro São Pedro de Alcântara because you can take several pictures from Lisbon landscape and Saint George Castle.
However, you will find small tiny streets where you will discover amazing restaurants, bars, coffee shops of unique concepts.
Chiado has also an amazing list of Apartments to rent on the major platforms. Some the places are impossible to drive by car and it is common to see foreigners with trolleys moving around.